(RESEARCH METHODS) A Research Critiquing Article based on Health.
The student will undertake a systematic critique of the research paper (article) below, using an appropriate critiquing tool. The student will discuss how this paper fits with current evidence.
Usher, K., Park, T., Foster, K. and Buettner, P. (2012) A randomized controlled trial undertaken to test a nurse-led weight management and exercise intervention designed for people with serious mental illness who take second generation antipsychotics. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69 (7), pp. 539-548.
Please download the above research article for the essay.
• Provide a clear statement of intent and signpost the essay.
• Tell the reader what will be included in this essay and in what order.
• State why the topic is important to your field of nursing.
• Outline the importance of research in nursing, critiquing research and link to evidence based practice.
• Define key terms which are relevant to your essay – ensure the definitions are relevant to your essay content (e.g. if using quantitative research, ensure your definition relates to the type of studies and methodology you are discussing).
• Critique the research paper using the framework issued by the module leader (see below) identifying strengths and limitations of the study. Make sure that you address the literature review and methodological issues:
– study design
– data collection
– study tools if relevant including validity and reliability
– any bias that is evident in the study
– ethics (including consent)
-how the data was analysed and presented
In doing this you will be showing an understanding of the research process. Make sure that you support your discussion with relevant references, identifying any implications of the issues identified.
• Demonstrate that you have conducted an appropriate inspection of the literature related to this topic
• Summarise the significant findings, showing where this study fits in to the wider evidence base on the topic. This will help you to demonstrate wider reading and should show that you have undertaken an inspection of the relevant literature.
• Conclude your essay by summarising what you have discussed throughout this essay in a logical order. Do not just repeat your introduction. Start this by giving an overall summary – what have you done – what have you shown, how is this relevant to current practice, where does this need to go from here?
Throughout, you need to demonstrate
• Evidence of original thought
• within the word limit (3000 words)
• Demonstrate correct referencing –this should follow university guidelines: Harvard referencing style.
• the assignment should be well presented (see guidance below) with correct grammar and spelling
The use of one of the critiquing frameworks below is compulsory:
For quantitative research: Template version: 8 10
Coughlan,M., Cronin,P., Ryan,F. (2007) Step-by-step guide to critiquing research. Part 1: quantitative research. British Journal of Nursing. 16,11, 658-656.
For qualitative research:
Ryan,F., Coughlan,M., Cronin,P. (2007) Step-by-step guide to critiquing research. Part 2: qualitative research. British Journal of Nursing.16,12, 738-744.
References (HARVARD REFERENCING STYLE