Module 3 Application
Submit at the end of Module 3.
Analysis of Educational Reforms or Innovations
In 2009, the U. S. Congress enacted the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) in response to the economic recession occurring in the United States. Included in the act was Race to the Top, a federal grant program designed to advance educational reforms by funding high-achieving schools to prepare students for success in education and the global economy.
Race to the Top encompasses educational improvements in four key areas:
1. Adopting standards and assessments that prepare students to succeed in college and
the workplace and to compete in the global economy.
2. Building data systems that measure student growth and success, and inform teachers
and principals about how they can improve instruction.
3. Recruiting, developing, rewarding, and retaining teachers and principals, especially
where they are needed most.
4. Turning around our lowest performing schools.
In this assignment, you will visit the Race to the Top website at http://www2.ed.gov/programs/racetothetop/index.html, access two state annual performance reports, and compare and contrast the states in the four improvement areas. You will also relate what you learn about Race to the Top and the improvement efforts of the selected states to your own philosophy of education.
Analyze the economic and legal foundations of educational reforms.
1. Save and print the Application PDF.
2. For your submission, create a digital presentation. It may be PowerPoint or another format. Tutorials for conducting research are available www.ace.edu/DLConnections
3. Your presentation should contain the following minimum number of slides:
1 Title slide – title, your name, course, and date
1 Introduction slide – key points you will make in the presentation
4 Slides – one per each Race to the Top area comparing and contrasting the two states 1 Slide – reflection on your personal philosophy of education
4. Access the Race to the Top website at http://www2.ed.gov/programs/racetothetop/index.html. From the dropdown menu, select two states, and retrieve their annual performance reports. NOTE: If your state is on the menu, select it and another state.
5. Compare and contrast the improvement efforts of each state in Race to the Top’s four performance areas. Have at least one slide per area.
6. Consider how Race to the Top and the state improvement efforts align to your personal philosophy of education. What are your beliefs and values related to Race to the Top’s four improvement areas? How do your beliefs and values align to the improvement efforts made by the states?
7. Follow the directions to submit your final document.