Discrimination of Irish Catholics, could they have prevented it
1500-2000 words in length – paper itself, not to include bibliography or title page
All essays must be typed, 1500-2000 words in length, double-spaced, 12-point font, and 1” inch margins.
No title pages
Do not use long, unanalyzed quotations to fill up space! These will be penalized
Using the following sources:
1. Breen, Richard. “Class Inequality and Social Mobility in Northern Ireland, 1973 to 1996.” American Sociological Review 65, no. 3
(2000): 392-406. http://ntserver1.wsulibs.wsu.edu:2135/stable/2657463.
2. Cohalan, Daniel, and F.B. Meyer. “The Irish Crisis.” The London Times, no. 42501 (August 28, 1920): 6. Accessed March 2, 2018.
3. Elliott, Marianne. The Catholics of Ulster: a history. New York: Basic Books, 2001. https://searchit.libraries.wsu.edu/primo-
4. Hourican, Emily. “My parents’ friend, heroic champion of civil rights in Ireland.” Sunday Independent, November 19, 2017.
https://ntserver1.wsulibs.wsu.edu:4107/api/permalink/c4ffc2a7-5435-420d-a8aa-a992b9dbeb6c/?context=1516831. Accessed on February 5,
5. Kane, John J. “Civil Rights in Northern Ireland.” The Review of Politics 33, no. 1 (1971): 54-77.
6. O’Brien, John. Discrimination in Northern Ireland, 1920-1939 Myth or Reality?. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2010.
7. Parnell, Henry, Sir. A History of the Penal Laws Against the Irish Catholics: From the Treaty of Limerick to the Union. Dublin:
Printed by H. Fitzpatrick, 1808. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3453364;view=1up;seq=5;size=175
8. Campbell, Fergus. “Who Ruled Ireland? The Irish Administration, 1879-1914.” The Historical Journal 50, no. 3 (2007): 623-44.
9. Cradden, Terry. “Trade Unionism, Social Justice, and Religious Discrimination in Northern Ireland.” Industrial and Labor
Relations Review 46, no. 3 (1993): 480-98. doi:10.2307/2524548.
10. Hepburn, A.C. Catholic Belfast and Nationalist Ireland in the Era of Joe Devlin, 1871-1934. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
2008. Oxford Scholarship Online, 2009. doi: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199298846.001.0001.