How do the text Doll’s house and Pretty Women explore the theme of gender?
The topic is communicated accurately and effectively.
• Identification and explanation of the research topic is effectively communicated; the purpose and focus of the research is clear and
The research question is clearly stated and focused.
• The research question is clear and addresses an issue of research that is
appropriately connected to the discussion in the essay.
Methodology of the research is complete.
• An appropriate range of relevant source(s) and/or method(s) have been applied
in relation to the topic and research question.
• There is evidence of effective and informed selection of sources and/or
Knowledge and understanding is excellent.
• The selection of source materials is clearly relevant and appropriate to the
• Knowledge of the topic/discipline(s)/issue is clear and coherent and sources are
used effectively and with understanding.
Use of terminology and concepts is good.
• The use of subject-specific terminology and concepts is accurate and consistent,
demonstrating effective knowledge and understanding.
The research is excellent.
• The research is appropriate to the research question and its application is
Analysis is excellent.
• The research is analysed effectively and clearly focused on the research
question; the inclusion of less relevant research does not significantly detract
from the quality of the overall analysis.
• Conclusions to individual points of analysis are effectively supported by the
Discussion/evaluation is excellent.
• An effective and focused reasoned argument is developed from the research
with a conclusion reflective of the evidence presented.
This reasoned argument is well structured and coherent; any minor inconsistencies do not hinder the strength of the overall argument or
the final or summative conclusion.
• The research has been critically evaluated.
Presentation is good.
• The structure of the essay clearly is appropriate in terms of the expected
conventions for the topic, the argument and subject in which the essay is
• Layout considerations are present and applied correctly.
• The structure and layout support the reading, understanding and evaluation of
the extended essay.
Engagement is excellent.
• Reflections on decision-making and planning are evaluative and include
reference to the student’s capacity to consider actions and ideas in response to
setbacks experienced in the research process.
• These reflections communicate a high degree of intellectual and personal
engagement with the research focus and process of research, demonstrating authenticity, intellectual initiative and/or creative approach
in the student voice.