32. Ethnic Conflict Resolution
Central African Republic (CAR)
In 4 pages SINGLE SPACED compose a RESEARCH PROPOSAL in regards to the topic and specific case study. Within the research proposal you MUST use ONLY scholarly/academic sources (at least 6 different scholarly/academic sources MUST be used).
At the beginning of the proposal you MUST provide a rough thesis and AT LEAST one hypothesis. Not included in the page count is to be your references page.
Continually, please follow the below structure:
Section A: Background of the Case Study
1. Provide a visual map of the area
2. Provide a brief, but comprehensive, description of the country
3. Outline the history of the conflict
Section B: The conflict parties and issues
1. Who are the core conflict parties? What are their internal sub-groups, on what constituencies do they depend?
2. What are the conflict issues? Is it possible to distinguish between positions, interests (material interests, values, relationships) and needs?
3. What are the relationships between conflict parties? Are there qualitative and quantitative asymmetries?
4. What are the different perceptions of the causes and nature of the conflict among the conflict parties?
5. What is the current behavior of the parties (is the conflict in an ‘escalatory’ or ‘de-escalatory’ phase)?
6. Who are/were the leaders of the parties? At the elite/individual level, what are their objectives, policies, interests and relative strengths and weaknesses?
Section C: The context: global, regional and state-level factors
1. At the state level: is the nature of the state contested? How open and accessible is the state apparatus? Are there institutions or for which could serve as legitimate channels for managing the conflict? How even is economic development and are there economic policies, which can have a positive impact?
2. At the regional level: how do relations with neighboring states and societies affect the conflict? Do the parties have external regional supporters? Which regional actors might be trusted by the parties?
3. At the global level: are there outside geopolitical interests in the conflict? What are the external factors that fuel the conflict and what could change them?
Provide a BRIEF concluding paragraph on what your research shows of how the CONFLICT was previously resolved or the measures that are currently being used to try and resolve the conflict. Keep in mind your topic while focusing on your specific case study.