82. For Karl Marx and Max Weber outline their key ideas and assess the extent to which their work has contributed to the development of social thought
The Exact essay question is : For two thinkers outline their key ideas and assess the extent to which their work has contributed to the development of social thought:
I’ve chosen to Karl Marx and Max Weber as the two thinkers.
Please try and reference from the following sources and then find other sources aswell:
– Why read Marx today by Jonathan Wolff (please reference from this one it’s available as a PDF online)
– 1848 Communist Manifesto Marx co-authored with Friedrich Engels.
-Max Weber, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. 1905 Chapter IV. The Religious Foundations of Worldly Asceticism – http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/weber/protestant-ethic/ch04a.htm#d
– •Whimster, S. (2014) The Essential Weber, London: Routledge
-•Eagleton, T. (2015) Why Marx was Right, New Haven: Yale University Press
-Whimster, S. (Ed.) 2014 The Essential Weber: A Reader, London: Routledge.
– Campbell, C. (2016) “Do today’s sociologists really appreciate Weber’s essay The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism?”, Sociological Review, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 207-223.