Housing • Urban sustainability • Rural sustainability • The Ecosystem Approach/Ecosystem Services concepts • Bottom-up practices
Semester one covers a variety of topics concerning sustainability and the environment: from issues with the urban, to rural, housing and many more; assignment one provides you with an opportunity to explore one of these topics in more depth.
In this assignment, you are to produce an individual report on one of the themes below:
• Urban sustainability
• Rural sustainability
• The Ecosystem Approach/Ecosystem Services concepts
• Bottom-up practices
This should not repeat the lecture material, but should involve a deeper exploration of literature in these areas: providing an overview of current discussions and arguments associated with these areas. You should use journal articles, books and other texts to frame your paper, the university’s Harvard system should be employed throughout (see http://www.careers.salford.ac.uk/studyskills).
You should include:
• An introduction to set the scene
• An overview of current debates in the area
• Case study material: one example of work in this area
• A conclusion
• Reference list
Intended Learning outcomes
On completion of this coursework learners will be able to:
1. Discuss and analyse different perspectives on sustainability and sustainable development.
3. Apply frameworks for classifying sustainability and sustainable development.
6. Plan, conduct and deliver an individual project within a specified timescale.
Subject specific/Key Skills to be acquired Method of Assessment / Submission Requirements
• Develop an awareness of the interpretation and role of sustainability and sustainable development.
• Explore, in more depth, key themes brought up around sustainability and the environment in semester one.
• Evaluate a case study related to the subject area explored.