You are a Nurse Recruiter for a large Health System. You need to make an offer for the candidate Suzy Smith as a Registered Nurse.
The Health System’s philosophy is to offer candidates a rate based on internal equity, i.e. how the candidate’s experience compares with the incumbent employees. The Manager definitely supports this philosophy and is looking to your expertise in making an acceptable offer.
Please use the attached resume for Suzy Smith as well as the attached RN Equity Report to determine an appropriate rate to offer Suzy Smith as a Registered Nurse.
Your submission must contain the following elements:
1. Rate to offer Suzy Smith
2. Justification for your rate – Please be specific in your justification as this is just as important as the rate you propose.
Textbook: Philips, J.M., & Gully, S.M. (2009). Strategic Staffing. (3rd Ed.) Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
The purpose of this course is to provide Business major’s an in-depth understanding of the staffing and retention process in organizations. The staffing process begins at the job analysis phase and continues through the decision to hire. Issues regarding retention are also central to the staffing process to ensure that those hired remain with the organization. This process is essential for ensuring the organization is able to obtain and maintain a competitive advantage based on their human capital. The course covers the staffing issues practiced in all types of organizations, and is taught using a combination of online materials, discussions, and experiential exercises/applications. While this course is geared towards HR majors, this course is useful for those who are looking for advanced information on managing employees in the organization.
Upon completion of this course, students should have an in-depth understanding of various features of staffing and retention, and how these theories can be used to enhance an organization’s competitive advantage. Specifically, by the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of various staffing models, the employment relationship, staffing laws and regulations, and the retention process.
2. Assess the external and legal environments influence on employee staffing and retention decisions.
3. Conduct various staffing and retention assessments.
4. Assess the effectiveness of various personnel selection techniques used for staffing and retaining employees in organizations.
5. Demonstrate an understanding for how employee staffing and retention issues influence an organization’s competitiveness.
Suzy Smith, RN, BS, BSN, CCRN
JohnsHopkinsUniversitySchool of Nursing, Baltimore, MD
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 2007
Cumulative GPA: 3.61/4.0
Loyola UniversityMaryland, Baltimore, MD
Bachelor of Science, Major in Biology, Minor in French, 2004
Cumulative GPA in Biology: 3.69/4.0
Clinical Nurse II, Critical Care Unit, MercyMedicalCenter, Baltimore, MD, 9/2007- present
• Provide professional care to critically ill patients in an acute setting of both medical and surgical patients in a 25-bed ICU/IMC unit.
• Work closely with a multidisciplinary team and patient’s family to provide quality care.
• Assess patients thoroughly and quickly, carefully identifying changes in condition.
• Generate custom patient care plans, including assessments, evaluation, implementations, interventions, outcomes, and nursing diagnoses for optimal patient progress.
• Observe appropriate infection control procedures.
• Occasionally fills the role of Charge Nurse.
• Active participant in Unit Practice Council and eMAR technology groups.
• Preceptor for students, new graduates, and new hires to the unit.
• Educate staff on eMAR and Meditech program updates.
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
• State of Maryland: Registered Nurse: Active
• CCRN Certification from AACN: 5/2010
• American Heart Association: BLS/ACLS Instructor, 1/2010
• American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, member since 2/2009