Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1: Politics – Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Due Week 6 and worth 200 points
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper that answers the following three (3) items using headers to
separate each item:
1. Discuss either two (2) civil liberties or two (2) civil rights events. One event must be from
within the last two years, and the other may be from the past. Select events that have influenced
a sense of social responsibility in the American government today. Provide examples to support
your answer. In your response, consider how the events influenced the way state, local, or
national political leaders or agencies responded in a socially responsible or ethical manner
toward the community. Please cite your sources APA style.
2. Discuss two (2) media events (past or present) that have positively and/or negatively influenced
the public’s opinion of a government agency. One event must be within the last two years, and
the other may be from the past. Provide examples to support your answer. Consider how a news
story or media coverage of an event positively or negatively changed the public’s opinion (or
perception) regarding how responsible a government agency should be towards meeting the
needs of its customers (i.e., the American people). Please cite your sources APA style.
3. Discuss two (2) differences between the Republican and Democratic parties that may have an
ethical impact (positively or negatively) on the American people. Provide examples from the
past 2 years to support your answer. Consider the different ideologies, values, morals, and/or
goals held by the Republican and Democratic parties, and their different views on the ethically
or morally right way to govern and make the best policies for the people they serve. Determine
if your example presents any type of ethical concerns for or against the public best interest of
the American people. Please cite your sources APA style.
In your research, you cannot use Wikipedia, online dictionaries, Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other
website that does not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
• Include an APA cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the
professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not
included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
• Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the U.S. government, national
political processes, policy making, and the notion of democracy.
• Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
• Distinguish between civil rights and civil liberties in the context of Supreme Court protection of
freedom of expression.
• Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and questions involving the U.S.
government and national political processes using information in the course.
• Explain how the federal system of government works.
• Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national
• Describe the importance of an informed, proactive citizenship for the effective operation of the
national government and political processes.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government
• Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.