17. Select a manager of a local business to interview and contact the person to set up an appointment. You may conduct your interview in person or via phone.
For this assignment, you will write a reflection on what you learned about management in the course. As part of the assignment, you will conduct an interview with a manager of a local business to get a first-hand perspective on the challenges of management and the techniques others have found successful for effective leadership, motivation, and communication.
Select a manager of a local business to interview and contact the person to set up an appointment. You may conduct your interview in person or via phone.
Prepare a list of at least 5-7 questions for your interview. Your questions should focus on specific challenges related to leading and motivating people and communicating with employees and/or clients in the business environment. In particular, try to discover how the demands of technology-mediated communication, such as communicating via social media channels, impact manager-employee relationships.
Remember that managers have many commitments so try to schedule your interview well in advance of the assignment’s due date. You should present the consent letter attached in the topic materials to the person you intend to interview.
After you complete the interview, write a 1,000-word reflection on what you learned in the interview and this course. Address the following in your response:
1. What are the most valuable things you learned about effective leadership, motivation, and communication techniques?
2. Identify some of the significant challenges you believe you might face as a manager.
3. Discuss your own personal strengths and weaknesses as a manager. What do you think you need to work on to improve your own capabilities?
4. How might you apply what you learned in your interview and this course to be a more effective manager?
Provide an interview summary at the end of your reflection that includes the following information:
1. The name of the person you interviewed and number of years he/she has been a manager.
2. The name of the company at which he/she is currently employed.
3. How long the person has been a manager at the current company.
4. Date of the interview and whether it took place in person or via phone.
5. Contact information for the person your interviewed.
6. The list of your interview questions.