Times New Roman,12pt font.
Material to be reviewed: ( sources)
– Textbook (J. Henslin) Chapter 3 (Socialization)
– 1. Article: Joachim Vogt Isaksen: “The Looking Glass Self: How Our Self-image is
Shaped by Society”,
in: Popular Social Science, May 27th, 2013,
– 2. Article: Mario Scott: “My Looking-Glass Self”, in: represent – The Voice of Youth in
1. Please explain Charles Horton Cooley’s concept of the “Looking-Glass Self”. (See 1st
article and textbook Chapter 3 “Socialization”)
2. Do you agree with his theory? Do you see any limitations of his theory?
3. Based on the second article, please analyze how Mario Scott applied the concept of
the Looking-Glass Self to his socialization and development. From a macro-level
perspective, what additional social factors should have been taken into consideration in
the analysis of his development?
4. How can the concept “Looking-Glass Self” be applied to your socialization? (Please
– Instructions followed
– Depth of Critical Analysis
– Ideas and Examples supporting your Analysis