and watch the PBS NOVA: Hunting the Edge of Space: The Ever Expanding Universe (2010)
andanswer the following questions using only the info. provided in the video.
- Name the first high altitude observatory that used a large mirror.
- What is the diameter of this mirror?
- What year did this observatory open?
- Who used this telescope to identify distances to spiral nebulae?
- How (using what type of star) were the distances to the spiral nebulae measured?
- How many galaxies have been found (by 2010)?
- What instrument splits light into colors?
- True or False: the Doppler effect works for both light and sound
- the further the galaxy, what happens to its speed?
- Describe the ping pong ball Universe model.
- the Sloan Digital Sky survey was able to measure how many galaxies at once and how many total (by 2010)?
- According to video, what type of telescope found the Cosmic Background? and which 1978 Nobel prize winner was interviewed in this video?
- What did WMAP reveal about the Universe?
- What is Hubble Deep Field?
- What is the age of the Universe observed by Hubble Telescope after the 2009 repair mission?
- What is the most mysterious thing discovered? and was it a surprise?
- What standard candle is used for galaxies more than 10 billion ly distant?
- What was concluded in 1998 about the slowing down of the expanding Universe?
- What makes up most of the energy content of the Universe?
- About what % of the Universe is NOT invisible (per video)?