What Is It About 20-Somethings? (2-3 pages)
Read the New York Times’ article “What Is It About 20-Somethings?”
consider the following prompts and include your responses in writing:
• Summarize what you read (1-2 paragraphs)
• Make the case that “emerging adulthood” should be considered a separate developmental stage. What physical, cognitive, and psychosocial developmental milestones might be included in this new developmental stage? Using the example of Erikson’s Psychosocial stages, what would the conflict be for this stage of Emerging Adulthood (e.g., Adolescence is “Identity vs. Role Confusion”)
• Would Erikson agree? Or would he agree with Dr. Lerner rather than Dr. Arnett? Explain.
• Which opinions resonate with you most loudly? In other words: whose quotes sounded most like your internal voice talking?
• What expectations do you have for your twenties?